Director of Student Activities and Theology teacher Tommy Calais has been nominated for the Earl Reum Award. This award, presented by the National Association of Workshop Directors, was designed to recognize individuals for their work with adults. Leadership education for students is important, but this award recognizes those who train the trainers of those students. The nominee should also be someone who...
- Encourages and inspires others in the field of student leadership
- Enthusiastically shares their experience and expertise through presentations to adults
- Promotes, facilitates, or creates opportunities for adults to receive information to share with their students
- Is instrumental in student leadership training
- Promotes student leadership within their state and/or at the national level
Mr. Calais is one of only six nominated for this award this year. Texas Association of Student Councils Director, Terry Hamm says of Tommy, "As a multi-year TASC Board member, he is invaluable. His insight, understanding of finance and programming, and ability to problem solve help TASC more than I can say. He speaks to the heart of any issue, weighs carefully what he has to say, and is respected by everyone on the board. He is my sounding board on complex issues. He is the most prepared person I have ever worked with. He does his homework, completes any duties assigned, and goes above and beyond to meet association needs."
In addition to this award, Mr. Calais has been invited to sit on the National Association of State Student Council Executive Directors board. NASSCED is an association of individuals from across the United States who work with their respective state student council associations to further leadership development among middle and high school students.
St. Agnes is very proud of Mr. Calais and the amazing Student Council he leads here at St. Agnes Academy.